You do not have to look far for the best electric lawn mower to rely on, not while DeWalt lawn mower’s like the DeWalt 20-inch Cordless Lawn Mower exist. Featuring a wide cutting diameter and solid performance, this is the electric lawn mower that keeps a small yard looking good.
Why We Like It – DeWalr Lawn Mower
With great build quality and reliable performance, the DeWalt 20-inch 20V Cordless Lawn Mower provides the perfect introduction to battery-powered lawn mowers.
Achieving a high quality cut job is easy for the DeWalt 20V Electric Mower. Making use of two 20V MAX batteries and a brushless motor—unlike the corded Sun Joe MJ401E-PRO—you can slice through wet and dry grass. However, the biggest issue is battery life.
You get not one DeWalt battery, but two batteries—MAX DeWalt batteries, to be specific. You need both batteries to run; it won’t start with one battery. Even together, run time is only 25 minutes. Anything more than a quarter acre is out of the question. However, it’s compatible with both other DeWalt batteries, such as the 60V FlexVolt batteries.
To achieve its great cut quality, this battery powered DeWalt mower makes use of a heavy-duty 20-inch metal deck—matching the Greenworks 25022. Alter deck height by using a single lever for height adjustment. with a single level down to 1.5-inches and up to 3.4 inches. To compound its performance, it comes with mulching bagging, a collection bag for grass, and rear discharging. This makes it a 3-in-1 system, one more system than the American Lawn Mower 50514.
It’s hard to find outdoor power tools that store so easily. The push mower can be folded, and then carried using another handle at the front. To save floor space, you can then stand it up on one end.
Its performance is excellent, better than most gas mowers, but its MAX batteries leave much to be desired. To really appreciate its power, you’ll have to consider upgrading to brand new DeWalt 60V FlexVolt batteries—especially if your yard is more than a quarter acre.
Even with the added price of better batteries, the DeWalt Lawn Mower still has good value. It performs well and is built to last. With a set of powerful batteries and proper maintenance, you’ll get quite a few years out of it.
How to find the best lawn mower for you
Once you determine the type of mower or tractor you’ll want, there are a slew of other considerations you should be mindful of:
- Wheel size: You’ll want to consider both the front and rear wheels for ease of use: You’ll want taller rear wheels if you’re going over rougher surfaces.
- Cutting options: Mowers can mulch, discharge (either to the side or rear), or bag clippings. Some mowers can only support one type of cutting option, some two, some all three. Depending upon what you are trying to accomplish and how frequently you cut your lawn will determine what’s ideal for you.
- Warranty: This is a product category where you want to look for a robust warranty to ensure if something goes wrong you’ll be covered.
- Storage space: Most electric push models can be placed vertically to save storage space, but only specific gas models can handle vertical storage, as it requires special engine seals to ensure gas won’t leak out.
- Budget: Lawn mower models start at a few hundred dollars, but prices can climb well into the thousands. In the end, you’ll have to weight performance, comfort and durability with cost.
- Features: For riding mowers, extras like an ergonomic seat and cup holder may not be lead determinants, but sure are nice to have! Cruise control is definitely another nice-to-have, as is automatic drive for adjusting speeds. Some tractors have the ability to switch mowing modes without a manual blade change required – super handy! For cordless electric walk-behind machines, some have removable batteries which makes storage and charging simpler.
Our Picks of Best Dewalt Lawnmower
1. Dewalt DCMW220W2 Cordless Lawn Mower
Achieve higher output and get more done with the 2X20V MAX 20 in. DEWALT Cordless Mower. The quiet, high-power brushless motor works with premium rechargeable batteries for enhanced productivity. This 3-IN-1 mower tackles mulching and bagging with rear waste ejection for added versatility, and it can execute a closer or higher cut with single-level height adjust. When the job is complete, store the unit conveniently with a folding handle and locking wheels for compact upright storage.
- HIGH POWER OUTPUT: Enhance productivity with the powerful brushless motor and (2) 20V MAX batteries
- BUILT FOR CONSISTENT HEAVY-DUTY WORK with durable 20 in. metal deck
- CONVENIENT TRANSPORT AND STORAGE with folding handle, lift handle, and locking wheels
- OPTIMAL VERSATILITY: Ideal choice for mulching, bagging and rear discharging
- VARIABLE CUT OPTIONS: Single-level height adjust ranging from 1-3/4 in. to 3-1/2 in.
2. Dewalt DCMW290H1 40V MAX 3-in-1 Cordless Lawn Mower Kit
With a powerful brushless motor, the 40V MAX Lawn Mower can cut up to 1/4 acre. It is 3-in-1, so you can mulch, bag, and discharge clippings out the back. Its metal deck gives it durability. This lawn mower also features a single-lever height-adjust system so you can easily change blade height. The handle also folds to allow for compact storage. Plus, it’s compatible with our line of 40V MAX DEWALT outdoor power equipment.
- Powerful brushless motor for high power output
- 3-in-1: mulching, bagging, and rear discharging
- Heavy duty 20 in. metal deck
- Single lever height adjust ranging from 1.5 in. – 3.4 in.
- Folding handle and lift handles for easy transport and compact storage
What Batteries Does the DeWalt Cordless Lawn Mower Use?
The DeWalt DCMW220P2 cordless lawn mower runs on 2 20V lithium-ion batteries. Both the DeWalt 20V 5.0 Ah battery and the DeWalt FLEXVOLT 9.0 Ah battery compatible and can be used with the DeWalt cordless lawn mower.
How Long is the Runtime of the DeWalt Lawn Mower?
The runtime of the DeWalt lawn mower varies because the runtime has many factors including grass type, grass height, grass thickness, and how the lawn mower is operated by the user. DeWalt does suggest that this cordless lawn mower is ideal for ¼ acre lawns (AKA homeowners and contractors).
When Can I Buy the DeWalt 20V Lawn Mower?
The DeWalt 20V lawn mower is available now for preorder and will ship in May of 2018. Overall, we’re impressed by the new DeWalt 20V lawn mower. From its runtime to its 3-in-1 capabilities, we know this DeWalt cordless lawn mower is going to be a BIG hit!
Is There a 40V DeWalt Lawn Mower?
Yes, DeWalt is also launching a 40V cordless, battery powered lawn mower. The 40V lawn mower is an ideal lawn mower for commercial and professional use.
How do I store a gas lawn mower for winter?
To winterize a lawn mower, leave the gas tank empty. Drain the engine oil, then refill it with fresh oil. Store the mower in a dry, well-protected place that is away from a water heater or furnace.